Rabu, 01 Agustus 2012
Pengumuman, dalam bahasa Inggris disebut "Announcement" adalah salah satu short functional text yang sering ditugaskan guru kepada siswa.
Sebenarnya, membuat announcement text (pengumuman) lebih mudah jika dibandingkan dengan membuat advertisement (iklan). Mengapa pengumuman dianggap lebih mudah?
Karena announcement hanya sekedar memberitahukan apa saja yang perlu diumumkan.
Lain lagi ketika kita membuat iklan, kita dituntut untuk bisa merayu agar pembaca bisa tertarik.
Pada dasarnya antara iklan dan pengumuman tidaklah jauh berbeda, keduanya sama-sama memberitahu.
Contoh yang paling mirip adalah informasi mengenai lowongan kerja; bisa dikategorikan iklan pun bisa termasuk pengumuman.
Announcement berasal dari kata announce; dalam bahasa Inggris kata kerja announce bermakna "make a formal public declaration about a fact, occurrence, or intention.
Jadi bisa dikatakan "announcement" bermakna pemberitahuan fakta, kejadian atau niat, baik tertulis atau terucap yang disampaikan kepada publik.
contoh announcement :
English Speech Contest
For all students of SMPN 1 SIDOHARJO, we announce English Speech Contest..
Time : Sunday, 12 April 2012
Place : English Laboratory
Each class should register at least one student with one of these following topics :
The Advantage of Learning English
The Difficulties of Learning English
The Effective Ways of Learning English
For further information, visit the committee of this English Speech Contest in ENGLISH STUDENT ROOM.
Kamis, 26 Juli 2012
A. Choose the correct answer by crossing a, b, c or d.
1. Bob : “lets go to the canteen!’ Lina : “…….. I am hungry”
a. It’s a good idea
b. it’s not good idea
c. I disagree
d. I hate it
2. Bob : “……… of our new friend? Lina : “She is beautiful and friendly”
a. Who is the girl
b. what a beautiful girl
c. Would you mind
d. what do you think
3. To keep the rare animals exist, we must not …….them.
4. Cow and buffaloes are ……. But tigers and lion are carnivorous.
5. Mr. Bob is a/an ….. He looks after some animals in his large garden behind in his house.
a. Fish monger
b. animals liver
c. fruit seller
6. Lina : “ I want you to come to my party tonight.” Aliana : “……….. I have a lot of homework to do.”
a.It’s a great
b. I agree with you
c. I am afraid I can’t
d. it is a good idea
Yesterday my mother was ill. My father and I took her to the doctor. First my father talked to the lady who was in charge of registration. She typed the data about my mother on the computer. Then we waited for my mother’s turn.
When her turn comes, I accompanied her to enter the doctor’s room. The doctor listened to my mother’s complained patiently. The he examined my mother by putting the stethoscope on her chest. After that, a nurse, to take my mother’s temperature so she put a thermometer in my mother’s armpit. He told me that my mother had a bad influenza. He wrote a prescription and gave it to me. He advised my mother to stay in bed for three days and come back after a week.
Then father took my mother home directly and I went to the nearest dispensary.
7. Who was sick yesterday?
b. the writer’s mother
c. my father
d. the writer’s father
8. What did the doctor do first after the patience enter his room?
a.Examined the patient first after the patients enter his room.
b.Took the patient’s blood pleasure by using spignomonometer.
c.Listened to the patient’s complain patiently.
d.Wrote a prescription and gave it to the writer.
9. What is used to take the patient’s temperature?
10. “After that, he took my mother’s blood pleasure…’(second paragraph). The underline word means….
11. Why does the writer write such kind of text?
a. To present his pointing of view
b. To retell events for the purpose of informing
c. To persuade the readers to go to the doctor
d. To explain how the doctor explain the patients
The following text is for number 12-14
Two year ago when I (11)…….in elementary school, I (12) …. Two close friends. At that time we usually (13) …..football every afternoon.
12. a. am b. was c. will be d. have been
13. a. had b. will have c. have been d. have
14. a. played b. plays c. play d. are playing
15. Arrange the following words in to good sentences
Were – stewardess – very – the – kind – helpful – and
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
16. Bob : “ how was your flight?Lina : Oh, It’s was ……enjoyable. I like it.’
17. My school ….. an excursion a week ago.
18. Lina went to Borobudur temple yesterday. She used …. Own car to travel.
19. Bob wrote a letter ……
c. last night
d. at present
20. A mini bus is a/an…..
a. Means of air transportation
b. means of sea transportation
c. Means of sky transportation
d. means of land transportation
B. Translate to English
1. Saya adalah seorang pelajar SMP kelas VII satu tahun yang lalu.
2. Saya belajar di rumah tadi pagi.
3. Mereka pergi ke pantai parang tritis tujuh bulan yang lalu.
4. Tanggal 20/4/2011 adalah waktu yang sangat menggembirakan.
5. Kita sepakat bahwa kita akan terus bersama-sama selamanya dua bulan yang lalu.
Senin, 23 Juli 2012
Definition of Procedure text
Procedure is a text that show a process in order. Its social function is to describe how something is completely done through a sequence of series
Generic Structure of Procedure
1. Goal: showing the purpose
2. Material: Telling the needed materials
3. Step 1-end: Describing the steps to achieve the purpose
Language Feature of Procedure
· Using temporal conjunction
· Using action verb
· Using imperative sentence
· Using Simple Present Tense
EXAMPLE : Planting Chilies
Planting is a nice activity in our spare time. The following is guided information on how to plant a chili-plant easily. Here are the steps.
Firstly, dry a handful seeding under the sunlight
Secondly, put the seeding on the soil. It should be in open area
Next, wait it. There will come out the sprout after that let it be bigger.
Finally, put it in another big pot. It will soon grow bigger and bigger and yield us some fresh chilies soon.
Analyzing the Text
Generic Structure Analysis
Goal; informing on how to plant chillies.
Steps; showing the steps or method in planting chillies; from drying seed to putting the sprout in big pot.
language Feature Analysis
Imperative sentences; dry a handful seeding, put it, etc
Action verb; put, dry, etc
Temporal conjunction; next, finally, firstly, secondly
Simple present tense pattern; planting is a nice activity, the following is a guided information
Minggu, 22 Juli 2012
The Definition and Purpose of Descriptive Text
Descriptive text is a text which say what a person or a thing is like. Its purpose is to describe and reveal a particular person, place, or thing.
The Generic Structure of Descriptive Text
Descriptive text has structure as below:
Identification; identifying the phenomenon to be described.
Description; describing the phenomenon in parts, qualities, or/and characteristics.
The Language Feature of Descriptive Text
Using attributive and identifying process.
Using adjective and classifiers in nominal group.
Using simple present tense
The example of descriptive text
on Jatim Park
For people in East Java, Jatim Park may have been heard many times as it is one of the famous tourism object in East Java province. Jatim Park offers a recreation place as well as a study center.
Jatim Park is located at Jl. Kartika 2 Batu, East Java. To reach the location is not too difficult because the object is only 2, 5 kilos meters from Batu city. This Jatim Park tourism object is about 22 hectares width.
Visitor can enjoy at least 36 kinds of facilities which can attract them as well as give new knowledge. Just after the pass gate, the visitors will find an interesting view of ‘Galeri Nusantara’ area. This study offering continues to step on ‘Taman Sejarah’ area, which contains of miniature temple in East Java like Sumberawan temple, customhouse of Kiai Hasan Besari Ponorogo and Sumberawan Statue.
The other facility which is able to be enjoyed is ‘Agro Park’ area. It presents crop and rareness fruits, animal diorama which consists of unique animals that have been conserved, and supporting games like bowling, throw ball, scooter disco, etc
Jatim Park is suitable for family and school recreation. The recreation area sites offer precious tour and can used as alternative media of study.
Generic Structure of Recount
1. Orientation: Introducing the participants, place and time
2. Events: Describing series of event that happened in the past
3. Reorientation: It is optional. Stating personal comment of the writer to the story
Language Feature of Recount
• Introducing personal participant; I, my group, etc
• Using chronological connection; then, first, etc
• Using linking verb; was, were, saw, heard, etc
• Using action verb; look, go, change, etc
• Using simple past tense
There were so many places to see in Bali that my friend decided to join the tours to see as much as possible. My friend stayed in Kuta on arrival. He spent the first three days swimming and surfing on Kuta beach. He visited some tour agents and selected two tours. The first one was to Singaraja, the second was to Ubud.
On the day of the tour, he was ready. My friend and his group drove on through mountains. Singaraja is a city of about 90 thousands people. It is a busy but quiet town. The street are lined with trees and there are many old Dutch houses. Then they returned very late in the evening to Kuta.
The second tour to Ubud was a very different tour. It was not to see the scenery but to see the art and the craft of the island. The first stop was at Batubulan, a center of stone sculpture. There my friend watched young boys were carving away at big blocks of stone. The next stop was Celuk, a center for silversmiths and goldensmiths. After that he stopped a little while for lunch at Sukawati and on to mass. Mass is a tourist center
My friend ten-day-stay ended very quickly beside his two tour, all his day was spent on the beach. He went sailing or surfboarding every day. He was quiet satisfied.
Narrative is a text focusing specific participants.
Its social function is to tell stories or past events and entertain the readers.
Generic Structure of Narrative
1. Orientation: Introducing the participants and informing the time and the place
2. Complication: Describing the rising crises which the participants have to do with
3. Resolution: Showing the way of participant to solve the crises, better or worse
Language Features of Narrative
· Using processes verbs
· Using temporal conjunction
· Using Simple Past Tense
example of narrative text provided with the generic structure.
Let's see the following famous narrative story!
The Monkeys and The Cap Seller
Once, a cap seller was passing through a jungle. He was very tired and needed to rest. Then, he stopped and spread a cloth under a tree. He placed his bag full of caps near him and lay down with his cap on his head.
The cap seller had a sound sleep for one hour. When he got up, the first thing he did was to look into his bag. He was startled when he found all his caps were not there.
When he looked up the sky, he was very surprised to see monkeys sitting on the branches of a tree, each of the monkeys is wearing a cap of on its head. They had evidently done it to imitate him
He decided to get his caps back by making a humble request to the monkeys. In return, the monkeys only made faces of him. When he begun to make gesture, the monkeys also imitated him.
At last he found a clever idea. " Monkeys are a great imitator," he thought. So he took off his own cap and threw it down on the ground. And as he had expected, all the monkeys took off the caps and threw the caps down on the ground. Quickly, he stood up and collected the caps, put them back into his bag and went away.
The generic structure of narrative story is:
Orientation: The cap seller as the participant (main character), once time as time setting, and in the jungle as place setting. We note from discussion that the elements of orientation is shortly answering who, when and where of the story.
Complication: The cap seller wants the monkeys to bring back his caps but the monkeys do not return them. Of course this makes the cap seller face a problem. Complication in a narrative text is not always in single problem. That is we know a major conflict and minor conflict.
Resolution: The cap seller gets the monkey to bring back the cap by acting of throwing his own cap. The monkeys imitate what he has done so the problem is is solved. This story has happy ending as the cap seller has his caps returned.
Kamis, 19 Juli 2012
SIMPLE PAST TENSE
Simple past Tense digunakan untuk mengungkapkan kejadian yang telah terjadi pada waktu tertentu di masa lalu. kejadian bisa pendek atau panjang. Berarti juga bisa menjadi beberapa kejadian terjadi satu demi persatu. Secara umum, Ada dua fakta penting yang perlu diingat dalam tenses bahasa inggris ini :
- kata kerja tak beraturan (Irregular Verbs)
Simple past tense digunakan untuk menyatakan sebuah tindakan yang telah selesai dilakukan.
- We watched a movie at the weekend (kami menonton film di akhir pekan)
- She arrived on Thursday (dia tiba hari Kamis)
- I played tennis with some guys from work yesterday.
- We stayed in Shanghai for five days.
- I walked to work this morning - Dalam kalimat ini waktunya disebutkan
- I walked to work - Dalam kalimat ini waktu tidak disebutkan, tetapi konteks kalimatnya dapat membuat kita memahami waktu yang dimaksud (yakni waktu lampau).
- kalimat negatif dan pertanyaan tidak seperti kalimat positif tetapi mempertahankan bentuk dasar kata kerja
1. Peristiwa di masa lalu yang telah selesai (misalnya : I went to school)
2. Situasi di masa lalu (they lived a normal life until they won a lottery)
3. Serangkaian tindakan di masa lalu
Kalimat Positif (+)
- Subject + to be (was/were) + complement
- Subject + verb 2 + object
He was a businessman in 1999 (+)
- dia adalah seorang pebisnis pada tahun 1999
I sell these motorcycles in Surabaya(+)
- saya menjual sepeda motor ini di Surabaya
- My Father bought this motorcycle last week
Kalimat negatif simple past tense dibuat dengan did dan not. Did adalah bentuk lampau dari kata kerja to do. Did dan not sering disingkat menjadi didn’t. Contoh:
- I arrived in London on Monday -> I didn’t arrive on Sunday.
- They stayed at the Vivaldi Hotel -> They didn’t stay at the Carlton Hotel.
Karena “did” merupakan bentuk lampau, maka kata kerja utama tidak mengalami perubahan. Contoh:
- We didn’t live in Italy. Did adalah bentuk lampau sehingga live tidak dirubah menjadi bentuk lampau.
- We didn’t lived in Italy. Kalimat ini tidak benar
- Subject + to be (was/were) + not + complement
- Sesuai rumusnya: S + did + not + V1+ object
Perhatikan dengan seksama, Kata kerjanya berubah lagi menjadi bentuk pertama (V1).
Lalu kata kerja bentuk past-nya kemana? Pindah ke DID itu.
She did not visit me yesterday (-)
- dia tidak mengunjungiku kemarin
My parents were not home this afternoon(-)
- orang tua ku tidak ada di rumah siang ini
My Father did not BUY this motorcycle last week
Pertanyaan dibuat dengan menempatkan did sebelum subjek. Contoh:
- You lived in Japan -> Did you live in Japan?
- They stayed at the Vivaldi Hotel -> Did they stay at the Vivaldi Hotel?
- You lived in Japan -> Did you lived in Japan? (tidak benar)
- You lived in Japan -> Did you live in Japan? (benar)
- Did + subject + verb 1 + object ?
Did you play football yesterday ? (?)
- Apakah kamu bermain sepakbola kemarin ?
Kita akan pakai kata kerja bentuk 1-2-3, contohnya sebagai berikut:
see – saw – seen (melihat)
buy – bought- bought (membeli)
go – went – gone (pergi)
-I saw her standing there (Saya lihat dia berdiri disana).
-My Father bought this car last year
-They went to Tokyo last month
-She went home two minutes ago
Semua itu sudah terjadi, membeli mobilnya juga tahun lalu, ke Tokyonya bulan lalu, pulangnya (went home) juga 2 menit yang lalu.
V1 -V2 – V3: Do – Did – Done
Jadi kita pakai “Did”. Karena negatif maka tambah “Not”. Jadi Did Not!
Kalimat positif tadi, kita jadikan negatif:
-I saw her standing there
Menjadi: I did not see her standing there
Lihatlah saw jadi see lagi. See-saw-seen kan bentuk kata kerjanya.Berkenaan dengan Past Tense maka kalian perlu mempunyai banyak perbendaharaan Kata Kerja.
Kata kerja simple past tense (kata kerja bentuk ke-2) yang reguler dibentuk dengan menambahkan “-ed” pada akhiran kata kerja. Contoh:
- jump -> jumped: The dog jumped over the fence.
- walk -> walked: I walked 22 kilometers yesterday.
- work -> worked: We worked together as lawyers for 15 years.
Keterangan waktu (adverb of time) yang umum digunakan dalam simple past tense :
Yesterday (kemarin, the other day (lain hari), just now (sekarang), the day before yesterday (sehari sebelum kemarin), etc
Yesterday (kemarin, the other day (lain hari), just now (sekarang), the day before yesterday (sehari sebelum kemarin), etc
Kata kerja tidak beraturan
Ada banyak kata kerja simple past tense yang tidak beraturan (irregular verbs) dalam bahasa Inggris, yakni tidak ditambahkan -ed. Berikut beberapa kata kerja tidak beraturan yang paling umum.
be - was/were become - became
begin - began break - broke
bring - brought build - built
buy - bought catch - caught
choose - chose come - came
do - did draw -drea
eat - ate feel - felt
fight - fought find - found
fly - flew forget - forgot
get - got give - gave
go - went have - had
hear - heard hit - hit
know - knew learn - learnt/learned
leave - left lose - lost
make - made meet - met
pay - paid read - read
ride - rode run - run
say - said sell - sold
send - sent shut - shut
sing - sang sit - sat
sleep - slept smell - smelt/smelled
speak - spoke stand - stood
swim - swam take - took
teach - taught tell - told
think - thought understand - understood
wear - wore win - won
write - wrote